Friday, September 5, 2008

Final Observation..MERDEKA SEPARUH

Wau... 9 weeks.. I made it . I can't believe it.~~
I survived!

Well my last observation ended on 2 September 2008. It was my supervisor who told me that he wants to observe me on that day.
It was suppose to be my literature but I have to change it to language lesson, else it would be unfair because I don't have any double periods lesson left on that week itself.

So this is what happened...
After third observation.. I decided I want to do reading. Why reading?
Reason no1: My second on reading was good..
Reason no2: I think I can handle reading lesson better than speaking lesson..
Reason no3: I can talk less ... I don't need to guide students till the end of my lesson.
Reason no4: When it comes to reading, it is a boring lesson, but at least, I played it safe.
Reason no5: I can handle problems arising from reading lesson .... I know what problems my students will have and I know how to solve it.

But the problem is.... it is so hard to find a reading topic on Science and Technology theme.
I am so lost.. I went back my home on Thursday.. so I have 4 days to prepare for my lesson before TUESDAY arrives. I kept telling myself things will turn out great..
I was so tension I can't do anything. Nothing pops out my mind... I search the net a lot of times for lesson plan, yet I find nothing.I am almost at the verge of breaking down...which I did again but just for a few minutes. I told myself.. wipe it off, get out of the house and I went to the nearest bookshop and spent a few minutes looking at form 1 workbooks on topic of science and technology. I bought a book.. just because it has a reading text on mobile phones. Just as a spare tyre in case I still don't find a good reading text on the theme of science and technology. It was a Saturday....

Then at night I browse the web again and again..and guess what!!!
Tada!! I found a website.. My saviour has come to me... it has a lot of lesson plan on science and technology cater to K1 to ... (what ever level they have. I don't know).
SO in the end, I took 2 different lesson plan topic which is almost the same. And I combine the reading topic into 1 reading text.

So I done my job in while.. Everything was done - halfway I mean.

Then , the show. This is what I expect me and my students do when I carried out the lesson in class.
Set:
Asks them about the internet... how they used the internet.. what programme they use.., what they do when they go online.... >> I got the answers I want and I lead them to the topic of the day EMAIL.

PRE: LEt's create an EMAIL
Ask them whether they wrote or sent emails before... [Yess.. No. Ok 50/50. Good , we are going to create 1 email together]
I paste the mahjong paper which look like the outline of an email inbox.
I gave them subject, date, message, sender and to ..They need to paste the information according subject, date , message, from and to.
Subject: Hi, I've got great news for you.
Date: September 1, 2008.
To: charlieyoung@yahoo.com
From: jyunrim@hanmail.com
Message: Dearest Charlie.. Check out our newest clothing line. CLICK HERE!

Now they created the email. I gave them a situation.. Let's say Charlie gets this email. And Charlie doesn't know who is the sender.. should he opens the mail? Should he click on the link provided...

Of course the answers given was not the one I expected lor.
Then , I told them.. actually... when you get an email from someone you don't know. "My advice is you don't open , or download anything from it. Moreover.. don't click on any link provided.. why... cause once you do it.. you may be link to another new site, asking you to buy something or.. you will get your computer infected with virus because most of the time, the link provided contains virus instructions ...OK.":-<

WHILE:
Then I gave them the reading text..asked them to read. Give them 10 minutes...walk around the class. see whether they are reading or sleeping...Then I asked them to read a loud in class.
Select students to read each paragraph.. and correct their pronunciations..
After each paragraph I asked them.. is there any words that you don't understand in that paragraph.. ?? So students raised hands, told me the words and I explained before moved on.
Finish reading and going through each paragraph everything... NO problem now.
Now asked them to complete the comprehension questions lor...{sorry lor, boringla I know.. but I must do things that I can handle}
Then I went around the class. Especially to those students who I think will even have a hard time understanding the text >.<
Explain in Malays.. show them where the answers come from....

Note: Actually I had another activity after reading comprehension, but somehow I knew my students cannot finish it on time. So.... :-)) I actually planned extras... I informed dr basil that I will only conduct that group activity when time permits.

Then almost time di...
POST:
Discusses the answers with students...
Selects students to answer...
Writes the answers on the board.. (why?.. so they get the correct tenses and spellings, so the weak students can copy the right answers >.< Oh god, forgive me......., but the main objective is so that students know where they went wrong]

Summarizes the lesson by asking questions... then asked them to hand in their worksheet.
End.
Relieved.
MERDEKA!! wahaha...

Dr Basil said I have IMPROVED MUCH.
Ask me to work harder when it comes to language..
Stop your carelessness...
Tada.. wonderful.
I think he is a good mood.
He ticks everything in the evaluation form...

2 comments:

Labyrinth said...

Interesting Set Induction and Pre Activity. Unfortunately, the While is as you said, 'boring' or I would say 'typical'. Most teachers would go through a reading lesson like that. 1. Read aloud. 2. Correct pronunciation 3. Ask for words the students dont understand 4. Explain words 5. Distribute comprehension questions 6. Discuss.
I understand that you wanted to be safe and you did those because of your observation.
What I'd like to know is, if there wasn't an observation, would you change what you did?
What would you change? How would you carry out an interesting and different Reading lesson?

Do read up on the advantages of 'Silent Reading' here; http://www.sil.org/linguaLinks/literacy/ImplementALiteracyProgram/UsingSustainedSilentReading.htm

And you still need to use Malay when explaining to some students? Any improvement at all so far in translating as opposed to using only English?

Pui Kei said...

What would I change.. I would gave them the handouts (pictures of the real email inbox/ or msn chat box -print screen) and asked them to identify what is a SPAM (spam mail) or SPIM (spim mail).They need to asnwer yes or no and give a reason why. I would give them the language structure as well..
Eg: I think Amil should ..... because............
He should ....... because.....
But before I attempt this I would have to do a lot of teaching/explanation on how to identify spam mail .(It would be a speaking lesson then....)
Actually this is the extras plan I had in case my students finished earlier than I expected.
I didn;t do a speaking lesson cause I know my students are very shy to speak - especially my Malay students.
Dr Basil doesn't like the idea of teacher talking too much...