Monday, August 25, 2008

3rd observation..

End of 1 week break.
Cried enough already.
No more tears anymore from Juayn. I decided from today onwards I am going to think positive and attract positive things to happen. I decide what will happen each day.

Well.. after the holidays break, after sick of crying... I decided that I am not going to focus on my weaknesses. If I can do it in the second observation, why not for the third and fourth.

I prepared a lesson plan on benefits of exercise.
I thought about it during the holidays, and still I find it not good enough.
After 2 days.... I check on the internet for lesson plans based on exercise.
And I found something, something which attracts my attention. I want to teach them something new.. the F.I.T.T approach in doing exercise.

So I revamp my lesson. (tis is what I did when dr Basil was there today)
In Set - I asked my students whether they enjoyed the holidays and how they had spent it.
In Pre - asked them whether they played during the holidays, then I told them to tell me more "Remember the lesson we learnt the weeks before the holidays...
We learned about healthy living, healthy food, exercise and games ..
SO today we are going to learn about the benefits of exercising..

Then I asked for types of exercise. Then continues with the general benefits of exercise.
Then I introduce F.I.T.T and how F.I.T.T is important when you are doing exercise.
Frequency - How many times a week?
Intensity - How hard?
Time - How long you exercise in a day?
Types of exercise - What you want to do?

After explanation, I gave them an example, let's say for me.
I am 23, I am a female, overweight and I am asthmatics .. So what exercise program you can design for me?
What can I do?
.Waits for answer... Shows them that they can use the list of exercise written on the board.
Basically.. I can exercise for 2 hrs..,, I can do swimming..

While- stage.
I asked them to work in groups of 4. I put them in groups..
Then I asked each representative from each group to come and collect an envelope that contains picture of an unfit individual.
My task was,I want them to design an exercise programme for the selected indiviual (weekly basis and using the F.I.T .T approach)
I showed them a sample of MY exercise program using F.I.T.T approach.. (as a reference for the blur case)
So after I distributed the papers, marker pens and magic pens... I walked around to assist them (I know they don't understand what I want them to do....most of them are unsure.. but I have to make them understand)
SO I went to each group and explained it to them be it in Malay or English.
Explain and explain until they get it... (PS: I realised something now. I didn't tell them to prepare an exercise programme on a weekly basis and that designed programme should make the selected individuals to slim down/lose weight!! - aiya - very kusut masai now)
But never mind, I make sure they understand. I guide them. I ask them questions.... so they are able to design the right one and not just simply coming out with any exercise program for fun.

The not-s0-good part:
My students took their time designing charts than coming up with an exercise programme. I have to keep telling them to draw and design later, do the exercise programme first.
I spent too much time in designing the charts.(..what to do. they prefer drawing than writing..)
I gave up my post so they can finish with their charts..
I asked them to stop their work and selected only 2 groups to present their work.. (not much time left)
When the boys were presenting , no one was listening, I had to catch just anyone to repeat the answers.. I did that for a few times.. for the 3 rd time>>> it works. <<< LUCKY.
Then I helped the presenter to build their sentences, I have to lead them, I have to show them.
Then I summarized my lesson and asked them to paste their work on the white softboard at the back of the class.

Personally, I think this one is a bit of mess up but overall SO SO.
At least Dr Basil says this..
Lesson are interesting...
You need to work on your time management skills..(didn't finish post ma -EXPECTED)
Spend time getting answers from your students..
Ask open ended questions.. just make them talk. You don't talk too much..
Ask more then link it to the lesson...
I see you are improving... [haha damn happy lor when he says this]
It's good you asked the students to put up their work. Something they can be proud of..
Find something for your students.. think on behalf of them. Find things which they are interested in...(not just about you teaching them new stuff... )

I realise I am not that bad lor.
I am OK la.
I don expect super excellente~~
I am no SAINT>.<
Now I am just thinking...
>>>>>Was that good? Why don't you tell me?<<<<<<

5 comments:

soonchen said...

Yea! Ju, see, you can do it! However we suck, I don't think we are lousy teachers and give up because deep down inside, we really care about those kids and we want to teach them something, you do and you are a good teacher no matter what your supervisor said. Remember they only come for 4 times, it's us who have to deal with those kids and it's us who know the kids best. Likewise, the kids know that you are a good teacher and that's what matters the most. Don't worry about the grades or what, I don't think we are going to fail, so keep up the good work k :) hugs

Labyrinth said...

Number 1, you know and understand your students. Number 2, you know what makes you comfortable in teaching the class. You learnt well from your 2nd observation! The best thing from today's post is that you know where you went wrong and what to or not to do next! Now THAT's learning. and the fact that ure posting about this and sharing, i believe that you will one day look back and read these reflections of yours with full satisfaction and reminiscence.

i TeAcH... said...

At first, when you told me about this LP of urs, I was a bit doubtful that it is suitable for your students' level of proficiency. But after you explained everything in here, I don't think it is Tough for your students. I like it when u relate or give the situation to them, about u being asthmatic and all. You managed to link some facts from the net with a real situation on hand. In another words, u successfully brought the LESSON to life. That students can relate it what they learn with something. I think this has something to do with "authentic learning" for something like that, where we bring real life situation to the class and relate it to the stuff and language that we want our students to learn. GREAT JOB Juayn! I am sure ur students will benefit from that lesson and remember it as well, maybe not now, but i am sure it's being save SOMEWHERE in their BRAIN! :)

Jeneft Aw said...

yeah, juayn. u have proved to ur supervisor and students that u can be a good teacher. i strongly believe that students will know how much effort u have put in when u prepared lesson for them. they will appreciate u..keep up the good work!!!

blog owner said...

oh wow. i'm so late. Sorry yea, Juayn^^. it's all ended now. However, i find it amusing that you still think of your prepared lesson plan over holiday and even took the effot to change/improve the lesson. if that's not a good teacher, then i don't know what that is.^^. Anyway, all the best ok.