Wednesday, July 9, 2008

First day in School

Hie mates, I miss you all. .. hope everything is fine with you guys.

On my first day of school, I told the English teacher that I will be doing observation and looking at the way she teaches the Form 1s.

I got my schedule and Monday itself I will have 4 periods. Two for English and the other two for Civic Education.
So I followed Miss Nirmala to my English class 1 Delta.
I sat behind the class with my partner and I was a bit surprised when she used Bahasa Malaysia to teach the students English. Some of her instructions were in Bahasa Malaysia and some in English.

I am lost of course, and I wondered whether I should be doing that with the students.
I am not saying the teacher was bad in her teaching or what, but from what I observed , she was practically testing the students than teaching them. It was a revision class - she was asking questions and waiting for students to answer. [ Is that teaching/ or is that what you do when you are doing revision with your students???]

Later after the day, I went with another teacher to Civic class - so called 2 Delta. The second last class.. oh god~~
The students were very very very extremely talkative, all they are interested in doing was talking when the TEACHER was talking. [Again, is that the right way to teach....where's the classroom management thingy!!???]

From what I see, I don't think the students are interested in listening to the teacher, they are interested to make noises in class rather than learning.
But I am confused too...
After the teacher finish blabbering. (that's what I called it as for Now-)
She gave the students some homework on the white board.. and surprisingly, students kept quiet and copied whatever is there on the board. (So, when I am teaching, should I give them homework just so to control their behavior in class???)

Please share....

2 comments:

Labyrinth said...

it's good that u observed the lesson by the teacher whose class you're taking over. u now know the culture of the class/lesson..on translating BM to English. Do you know why she does it? Read up on the Traslation method http://www.abacom.com/~nathan/grammar.htm Does she use the Grammar Translation method? And why? Do you think that's the best way to teach the students? Get to know the students and let us know if that is the best way. You DO know that KBSM requires you to use the Communicative Approach? Read up also my post dated June 17th and May 10th.
On teaching through the noise and providing homework...what is it that is causing them to make noise? What did the teacher do that caused them to make a lot of noise? Why give them homework right after? Your learning experience and what you've been taught, tell you that something is amidst. What is it? Do you plen to do as the teacher did or do you pan to make some changes according to your knowledge? We'd love to hear updates on this.

Chee PoayLing said...

i think it is hard. I am teaching that class which is the 2rd from the back. Sometimes I have no choice but to tell them a few words in B.M. to make them understand better... but i make sure it is only once in awhile when students REALLY lost...