After what happened last week, I am better off this week.
Of course that does not mean that I forgotten what happened and move on with my life like nothing has happened at all.
How could I do that when it’s me that should be held responsible for what happened.
But I choose to forget…
I was sad, tired, and speechless to be precise.
And so even I felt so drain, I sum up all my energy and tell myself forget what happened yesterday and continue my lesson as I planned.
And I did, I felt better after started talking to my class.
That’s all no more English class for the week. (sigh ...)
Then coming this Monday itself… when I enter my class, my students were very noisy.
They thought I am ‘ok’ with them, which I am not; and I started to call their names and make sure they sit in their pairs.
Then I move on and started to tell them the story about Rose.- which was my set induction…and all went really well. They were listening to me although I did stammer here and there… (I fake a breaking voice)
And here’s what I did.
Basically the story is about a little boy where grown-ups don’t want to listen to him…
So… do you want me to listen to you?
……..(thinking hard … look left and right.. 1 student says :yess.. ) YESsss..
OK good, so if you want me to listen to you, what should you do to me? You should listen to me in return.
So if I am speaking in class, you listen, you don’t talk, and when you are talking I will listen to you.
SO if you want me to respect you, you should respect me in return. You don’t talk when I am teaching… understand?
…. Yessss…..( Tada - Victory no.1 for teacher Juayn!!)
And so I continue with my lesson as usual… it was not a smooth journey. Some of the boys are really talkative, some refused to do the work I gave them, some just copied their friends, some just hand it in for the sake of handing their exercise book to me.
Overall I think there’s still room from improvement.
I need to connect better the second time around, my transition should be smooth.
I think my exercises are way too hard for them… but it’s from the textbook.
I have to find time to do post and explain about the task.
I have 6 students (practical prefects) who went out 10 minutes earlier for recess… so I can’t teach all.
Two of my English classes are place right next to recess time, so when it’s 10 minutes before recess, my students will lose the attention and think only about food.
I spend 10-15 minutes of my time doing discipline control on my students –“who didn’t bring the text book, who didn’t bring exercise book, and who didn’t hand in their exercise books to me” .. Bla bla this and that… . (JUST BECAUSE I NEED TO SHOW THEM I’m INCHARGE and I mean what I say)
Well, that’s all for now.
More to come ....

1 comment:
it is nice that you are connecting what you teach with what is happening in their life; authentic/meaningful learning. You mentioned that there isnt much time to teach them. Maybe you could stop focusing so much on their bringing their textbooks, exercise books etc. You could opt to prepare aids and task sheets for them to be completed in class and therefore submitted in class as well. That way, you'd save time and get what you want. I know that some of the other gorgettes are doing that.
Post a Comment